Pages

Tuesday, July 9, 2013

1930's Sewing Catalog Leach Way

I'd like to share with you a fabulous catalog I found on ebay recently and I am hoping one day to make a blouse from the front.  The illustrations in these catalogs really are works of art.  Another great thing about this catalog is that there is still tissue patterns with it.


Just looking through this catalog, I'd want each and every one of these outfits.  They are all just so special.

Check out the lady with the cigarette...so politically incorrect nowadays but so interesting to see.  She is thinking as she smokes "Hmm which lovely blouse shall I wear?"    I think the blouse I am most attracted too is the striped version.  You really have to be able to follow seam and cutting grain direction to accomplish this look.
Can I say I'd like a subscription to Leach Way?

I hope you enjoy a stroll through this magazine from the late 1930's as much as I do (did).   I'm probably not going to be able to blog as much as normal in the summer months but I am hoping to have some interesting things to share.


Let's take a peak inside....




















10 comments:

  1. Oh how fantastic! I love these old catalogs, thanks so much for sharing. I just purchased 2 similar catalogs both with their original tissue patterns for the gowns seen on the covers! What a treasure :)
    -Emily

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I saw your wonderful catalogs. I hope you make one of those glamorous dresses:))

      Delete
  2. Wow, pretty much every piece in the catalog is beautiful! What a great inspirational find!
    -Jamie
    ChatterBlossom

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a great find! I love them all!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ooo, so many of these are quite lovely. I can't wait to see which fabric you choose for your blouse. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh boy, these are incredible! (And torturous!) Side note: damn that skirt is SHORT for the 30s! I know it's for skating, but still it surprised me!

    Thanks for sharing!
    xo Sara

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great eye, it is funny how you could get away with such a short skirt if you we're ice skating. Seems like you would be rather cold in such an outfit.

      Delete
  6. Love, love, love these!! Thank you so much for sharing with us. My favorite is the white blouse with the ruffled collar and the pink one thats similar in style.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love seeing the hats that match the outfits in these catalogs.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Such an awesomely fantastic find! I could pour over and study vintage catalogs like this until the pages were threatening to come away from the binding. This might not surprise you all that much, but naturally my heart skipped a beat when I saw the darling skating outfit (for those times when I'm not in ski wear, natch! :D).

    ♥ Jessica

    ReplyDelete