Pages

Wednesday, October 16, 2013

Be Glad It's Spring 1939 -Corseletted Chic A Look Into Spring Vogue Pattern Book 1939

The late 30's offered so many flattering and beautiful silouettes.  I really love this period of time.  I picked up this Vogue Pattern Book from 1939.  It is coverless but filled with great inspiration, none the less.


S-4119 pattern is amazing!  A lovely dress with a puffed sleeve princess coat!   There is one for sale on etsy but maybe I just might find one cheaper in the future.



Below is a comparison of 1929 to 1939.  I  find it delightful how they compare just ten years ago to the "present" 1939.

"Gone (forever, we hope) is the straight, shapeless silhouette.  In its place, we find the skating girl skirt wide flung and graceful, or a sleek, tailored skirt, or even a Minaret or tiered frock."

The feature discusses the shoulder style of 1939...I'm all about the poof!  In their words "arrogantly pinched and puffed, but never turn downward like the mouth of an unhappy child as they did ten years ago".   Think this article is a little bias to 1939:)?



"Spring 1939 - year of colour and corseletted chic"   Corseletted, now this is a new word to me.

I believe you can double click on the image to enlarge and read.



A lovely lady,  I would love to see the pattern envelope for this perfectly "suited" outfit.  The lady kind of reminds me of Christina Applegate.  What do you think?  Maybe it's her grandmother?








I like to scout out cheaper patterns and I happened to have this pattern below prior to buying the book.  Pretty neat eh?  I thought I scanned a copy of the envelope but can't seem to locate it, I'll share it in a future post.















Love these blouse patterns!  I want them all but especially Vogue 8255 and 8289.  I hope one day I can find one of these grand patterns.





I'm trying to decide on my next sewing venture.   I'm thinking it's going to be the pattern to the left (from 1940). Which one is your favorite?  I'm also going to have to lay out the pieces to see if this fabric will work.  It was a piece of fabric that I had from my old quilting days.  Wish me luck!   

I have a hard time opening these envelopes when everything is all nicely folded inside almost factory like.  I'm going to practice bound buttonholes and fabric covered buttons so it should be a learning experience.













11 comments:

  1. Eeep! Both patterns are so grand. I love 1939 and 1940 fashions! So cute! Can't wait to see what you sew up!

    ReplyDelete
  2. There are some amazing fashions here. I love to see the colour illustrations to get a real feel for what the outfits may have looked like. I wouldn't want to be a 'colour coward'! It is so interesting to read the comparison of 1929 and 1939 fashions, you are right, it is pretty scathing. I like all the illustrations in the comparison, even though they are simple they really make the point. Will be very interested to see what you decide to make.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my goodness!! How lovely are these!?

    xoxo
    -Janey

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love it when you share these! It is always so delightful to see them and gain inspiration from them.

    Both patterns are great, but my pick is the one on the right.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hope one day to get to both:) I have a hard time opening all the tissue when it's never been used. It's still factory folded. I'm certainly going to retrace this but it's so interesting how it's been sitting in it's envelope unused for 73 years! Crazy for tissue paper!

      Delete
  5. Wonderful patterns! I love all of the blouses and that princess coat!

    ReplyDelete
  6. One of each, pretty please!!! :) I've always adored the fashions of the late 1930s, but would say that my appreciation of, and fondness for, them has grown in spades since you started covering them on your blog. Unlike most looks from the earlier years of the decades, these are ones that I look and think, you know what, my short, curvy figure could pull those off. All of these styles are stunning, and I would happily try any of them out, but it's that jumper suit (great name!) in the last illustration that's captured my attention most today. I'm going to keep my eyes peeled for something akin to it from here on out.

    Tons of hugs & the happiest of Friday wishes,
    ♥ Jessica

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh I'd just love to see you in a late 30's outfit!

      Delete
  7. '39 and'40 are one of my favorites of the war years, in fashion that is. It's simple, cute, conservative, etc... Love, love, love! I'm not sure if I've missed it, but which style are you wanting to make?

    ReplyDelete
  8. The last image of the pattern on the left. It's from 1940. I'm trying to understand the directions :/ :\

    ReplyDelete
  9. She DOES look like Christina Applegate! Weird! Good eye!
    -Jamie
    ChatterBlossom

    ReplyDelete